Thursday, August 24, 2017

Holding Characters Hostage Part Two: The DLC Experiment

With the upcoming Marvel Vs Cacpom Infinite's initial launch roster in place, I felt compelled to revisit this topic once more but in a different manner. In my initial analysis of classic characters that were missing from Street Fighter V's very mediocre character launch, I felt like they were holding favorites at bay but I do understand that from a development standpoint, especially based on SFV's latest mechanic, that things take time to design and SFV was certainly a rush job of epic proportions so no surprise there.

Unfortunately, MVCI feels somewhat the same but in terms of characters, I feel like they are doing the opposite of SFV and holding new characters hostage this time....and I'm much more irritated by this than before. A 30 character roster makes the bare minimum for what a game of this magnitude provides and while it's great to see that many of the characters from the previous game in the series are making their return, there are only 4 brand new additions to this initial roster...the rest of the new blood are attached to DLC.

There have certainly been a few atrocities when it comes to the latest game in this very popular franchise. The absence of the popular X-Men characters due to an ongoing issue with ownership was hard enough to bare but it only suffers more with the lack of new additions.

As someone who reviews fighting games, I feel obligated to experience it and give an honest opinion on it which is why I'll be trying to get hands on day one. On the other hand, as a consumer, they would not be getting my money..at least not initially.

Why? It is very simple, Black Panther. The game is $60 and for someone like myself, it is by no means a drop in the bucket. There was one character that I wanted to see above all else -- one character who would have made what is feeling like a very dismal character launch a somewhat exciting one, Black Panther. Where is Black Panther? Oh, he is on the list of DLC characters that I will have to pay additional money for.

Now maybe this was a smart business move on Capcom's end. I feel like Black Panther is a great addition and many players want him in the roster so much so that they would pay the additional money to get him but me not so much. What could have been a game seller is now an after the fact purchase and in no way am I paying for the game just to pay more to get to one character that I really wanted in particular...just not happening.

It's instances like this that set such a bad precedent for DLC because its not about presenting the best initial package they most possibly can -- instead, its a money grabbing strategy that can ultimately make this title a complete failure at launch.

Maybe my angst over one character is trivial BUT Black Panther is the character that I wanted and there are more new characters that are being launched as DLC that would have most likely made for an immediate purchase as well. New character or old we are in a character hostage situation and with no negotiator to come to our rescue things are looking pretty dire. I don't wish for Capcom's failure but I do need them to understand the errors of their ways are making me much lesser of a fan with each new title they bring.


No comments:

Post a Comment